Observers - Management
Pacific Island Forum Fisheries Agency (FFA) and the Pacific Community's Oceanic Fisheries Programme (OFP) provide technical support to the national observer programmes.
The Commission assesses the results of the programme. The Commission periodically reviews the submitted data and make recommendations as needed. It will continue to develop the programme. The Commission will make sure confidential data is secure and un-named, and only released where appropriate.
The programme is coordinated by the Secretariat of the Commission, which:
- maintains the programme manual and observer workbook
- coordinates activities with other programmes
- makes sure other programmes meet the programme’s standards
- monitors observer trainers and courses to maintain standards
- makes sure the correct information is collected, stored and sent out
- authorises observers
- reports on the programme annually.
To be part of the WCPFC regional observer programme, programmes need to be audited and authorised by the Secretariat. Standards for forming and operating observer programmes are available from WCPFC.
WCPFC Regional Observer Programme Standards & ROP Guidelines (896.79 KB) are available (2016 update). Providers and coordinators for observers are listed as at 2016.